Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ouran High School Host Club

So, this week, I started watching the Japanese anime drama "Ouran High School Host Club" with my friends, during our free periods. And I have to say, it's better than I expected. It's really corny and cliche in some places, but it is pretty watchable, and kind of addicting. I will never know how someone can be so attracted to an anime or cartoon character.

After watching the first few episodes, the drama really reminded me of Korean dramas, especially the high school dramas like "Boys Over Flowers" and "Playful Kiss," and that's when I realized, a lot of Korean dramas are based on Japanese manga and anime. Both BOF and PK are based on original Japanese mangas/comic books. I then realized that that's where all the main themes of Korean dramas must have come from, like the love triangle and pretty boys. I'm sure the overall Korean culture also had a part in it, but it seems that Japanese mangas had a big influence on Korean dramas. I just thought that this was interesting - I've always wondered about the roots and origins of Korean dramas.

No comments:

Post a Comment